There is a $3 submission fee for most departments; this contribution will help us to pay for Submittable so other funds can be used to pay contributors. However, if you prefer not to pay a fee (which is totally fine), you have the following option:
- If the $3 truly presents an undue financial burden, please submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the department name and a cover letter with bio. We do not ask for proof of status, so this is an honor system. All e-mail submissions are treated as if they are Submittable submissions.
Please know that the $3 submission fee covers the cost of using Submittable. We are financially and editorially independent, and the only funds we have are those we raise ourselves. We truly appreciate your support.
Just a few additional things:
- Upon publication, contributors will be paid a $20–$60 fee, depending on department and number/length of works published ($20 for a Micro; $25+ for a poem; $60 for all other departments).
- All pieces should be original, and previously unpublished in any format in English.
- We acquire first serial rights worldwide in English and non-exclusive anthology rights.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted; please be sure to withdraw your piece promptly if it’s accepted elsewhere.
- Please don't send more than one submission per department; wait until your work is accepted or declined before submitting again.
- Please direct all inquiries and comments to email@example.com.
- We'll do our utmost to respond within two months, but due to the volume of submissions we receive, and the careful & collaborative nature of our review process, that may not always be possible. Thank you for your patience.
"In consideration of the above-described Work, the Contributor identified above grants to The Offing (“Publisher”) the following rights to the Work: (a) for the website, theoffingmag.com, and as a part of the archives of The Offing and (b) the non-exclusive right for use and re-use of the Contributor’s name, image, and biographical data in advertising and promotion of all Publisher’s publications in all media. Except as above, Contributor retains all other rights.
Contributor represents and warrants that (a) the Work is the Author’s original work; (b) the Work is accurate and factually correct, (c) he/she has full power to make this grant of rights, (d) that the Work contains no matter which infringes copyright, trademark or other rights, is defamatory or otherwise unlawful, invades the right of privacy or publicity, or which infringes any other proprietary right of any third parties; (e) the Work has not been previously published in English by Contributor or any third parties, except in such cases as are previously agreed to in writing by Publisher and Contributor; and (f) if the consent and permission of any third parties are required for the use of the Work described above, including persons depicted in the Work, Contributor has obtained such consent and permission in writing and will submit copies to Publisher on delivery of the Work. Contributor agrees to cite The Offing as the source of original publication if Contributor licenses the use of the Work to other publishers or publications in any media."
There is no limit to how many items are featured in a list; however, high-resolution images — which you have permission to use! — should be available to accompany most or all items. Please submit a 1–2 paragraph proposal describing your idea and describing/identifying the images that your piece would include.
Please include the original year of publication, the original language, and a brief biography of both the translator and author. It is the translator's responsibility to obtain permission from the author/rights-holder prior to submitting the piece.
Writing tuned to form and place : location, space, setting, situation, position. Formerly known as YOU ARE HERE.